The LLL Alumnae Association is for Active and Retired Leaders and Members!
Fran Dereszynski, Continuum Editor
Huntington Beach, California, USA
From: Leaven, Vol. 45 No. 2-3, 2009, pp. 34-35
Yes, the Alumnae Association is open to any current or retired LLL Leader or member and is not just for retired Leaders. The Alumnae Association is now independent and has its own treasurer and officers and is responsible for its own budget, projects, expenses, printing and mailing of the newsletter. Many members enjoy receiving Continuum, the Alumnae newsletter, published three times a year. Readers tell us that they look forward to inspirational articles, just as they did when they read New Beginnings in their early days of mothering. What benefits do members enjoy?
- Receive three issues per year of the Alumnae newsletter, Continuum. Past issues can be read on the Alumnae Web site -- log on to enjoy articles on personal growth, parenting, book reviews, women's health issues and more;
- Connect together to build on the philosophy of La Leche League as their children grow;
- Share their joys and concerns, on non-breastfeeding topics such as teen parenting, grandparenting, aging parents and other issues of womanhood, including separation, divorce or related circumstances;
- Can be part of a world-wide network of women sharing, supporting and learning from one another;
- Are choosing between retirement or redesign if LLL Leadership does not fit into their lives like it used to do;
- Have an opportunity to help the Alumnae Association support the work of the LLL Breastfeeding Helpline-US which provides 24-hour breastfeeding information to over 2,000 callers per month as well as other breastfeeding support efforts;
- Can join Alum Listservs (Online Discussion Groups) which offer an invaluable opportunity to share wisdom and feelings about life's challenges, e.g., aging parents, challenging children, empty nest, living alone;
- Receive announcements about informal gatherings to be coordinated by regional or state members, making it easier to get together with local members without long travel. One of the goals of the regional gatherings is to get more Alumnae members involved and to gain input for things that they would like the Alumnae Association to do. This is a new plan. If you are interested in suggesting a date and location in your state or region, contact Sue Steilen.
- Attend LLL Alumnae trips; in the past they have visited the Grand Canyon in Arizona, USA; Savannah Georgia, USA; San Antonio, Texas, USA; and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
The LLL Alumnae Association is a vehicle for La Leche Leaders and members to continue a lifelong affiliation with LLL. Alumnae membership is offered as a natural transition for active and retiring Leaders and members who want to maintain their LLL connection and who wish to expand the application of LLL philosophy into other stages of their lives.
Invite a Friend
The Alumnae Council's goal is to add 200 more Alumnae members during the coming year. If you are already a member, please take time to invite a friend to renew or join. If you are not a current member, I invite you to join. Dues are $20 (US) per year, and membership is no longer available through LLLI Leader Dues billing. Credit card payment is easy to do online at http://alumnae.llli.org or download the membership form on the same Web site to pay by check via postal mail to: Susan Geil, Alumnae Treasurer, 4868 N. Hermitage Avenue, Chicago, IL 66040, USA. You may contact Sue Steilen, Membership Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a form via email.
Seeking New Faces
The Alumnae Council is seeking new faces -- your help can involve more members and increase visibility throughout LLL.
What can you do?
- Volunteer to be an Area Alumnae Representative (AAR), if your Area does not already have one;
- Offer your home for a spring Alumnae Council meeting, or offer your Web site skills;
- Helping at the Alumnae table at an Area Conference;
- Contact the Alumnae Council -- there is a job to fit your interests!
The search is ongoing for two positions on the Alumnae Council: Alumnae Coordinator and Resource Development. If you are willing to volunteer for a task or to recommend someone for these Council positions, contact Pam Oselka at: email@example.com
Remember to renew your membership and invite a friend to join the Alumnae Association! Thank you for continuing to share your time and experience supporting mothers and babies in your community. You are appreciated!